Monday, December 29, 2008

House Make Over?


Photos courtesy from www.games.co.id

We visited my eldest sister's house in Butterworth on the 2nd day of Christmas. Yes, if you follow my blog all this while you'll know my eldest sister & I have a very big gap on our age and she is also my 婶婶. Her family just moved into a new house. She spends a lot on the house renovation. I really like her house design. The interior design is much more modern than my house in Penang island. Although we have the similar type of house, but renovation makes a huge difference.

I guess my sister spends at least RM80k on the renovation. The plaster ceiling, the galvanized auto gate, the beautiful grand lighting, new furniture, and the super deluxe kitchen. Wow! Really envy. Of course money is the main factor. 4 years back when hubby & I moved into our current house, we spend just very little on the renovation. We are fortunate to have FIL paid off the house. We just add the skirting to down stair flooring, get the house painted, and our bedroom furniture. The rest are all dedicated by FIL. He bought us the sofa, the dining table, the kitchen cabinet, the fridge and the guest rooms' furniture. My parents dedicated some electrical products, and MIL bought me some cooking utensils. Hubby & I just started working at that time, so we were really tight in cash. Sounds so pity hor? :( Only a year later we spent about RM10k to building up the gate and the tiling the car porch.

After we visited our sister's new home, discussed with FIL that we wanted the house opposite to ours (we shared to bought it over recently). It would be easier for us to renovate an empty house rather than our current occupy house. Basically there's no objection from FIL. It's up to our decision. But after thinking of the renovation cost that would incure, we are kind of giving up. We doubt we have the capability with the limited cash we have. If we will to move over to that house, we will have to renovate the car porch, the gate, the kitchen, the upstair's grill, some furniture and electical products...So many things. How can we afford it?

So, hubby and I sitting down to make some calculations, we are now thinking of just to upgrade our current house. I still have the very basic kitchen till now. The space is big, but I have limited place to prepare my meal. Sigh...I think it's time for us to make over the kitchen. I don't think I need the super expensive granite table top for the kitchen like my sis's, just the normal tiles will do. We really have to minimize the cost. Besides, I want to make over my master bedroom's bathroom and also get the empty space at the back build up become laundry area. Also, I want a better quality main door. Our current door looks terribly old and ugly.

Which plan sounds more reasonable? I'll get advice from my parents. :)

9 comments:

New Kid on the Blog said...

a new house opposite the current one?? on investment or personal use?

I will save whatever it is to deco my house.

Little Inbox said...

It's like long term investment for us besides supporting FIL. 3 of the siblings and FIL bought over the house by cash. FIL is thinking wanna move over to Penang, cuz 2 of his sons are in Penang.

imelda said...

I have a plan too to enovate the house, but i have to wait until my finances allow me.in time, i know i will and u will, too.

KaDusMama said...

Yeah..the cost of renovating house isn't cheap..all the condo / houses we renovated before, costs more than 100k..! Wouldn't it be nice if we strike jackpot??? hehehe!! Can renovate our house kaw-kaw..

Little Inbox said...

Imelda, I'm in the progress of getting quotation from several contractors. Hopefully can start the renovation by next February.

Kadus Mama, where got so easy to kena jackpot? If yes, hor, then I want to buy a new house lo. :)

KaDusMama said...

hey..just dropping by to wish you and your hubby HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009!! Have a nice day.. :)

Little Inbox said...

Kadus Mama, Happy New Year to you & your family too! :)

Wai Wai said...

Hmm... reno har... my advice is to do the essential first.. start with the kitchen is a good idea... sometimes you don't have to spend much, add versatility and personal taste to your home deco, curtains do wonders.. plus some mix and match furniture..... Happy reno and Happy new year 2009!!!

Little Inbox said...

Wai Wai, I've been so thrifty when I first moved in to the house 4 years ago. Now really got to renovate a bit. A lot of minor things need to be fixed. Really headache, not enough budget. One of the contractor just came to jot down all the details. Will get the quotation tomorrow. I'm afraid I'll get the heart attack.