Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The VSS Updates

Photo adapted from www.allposters.com

Over the week the VSS is open for all. Today 5pm is the deadline. VSS is supposed to be Voluntary Separation Scheme. However, the fact is always the other way round. Department heads already got their respective name list upon the announcement. Yes, sounds cruel indeed, but this is the actual practice especially during this recession period. The management is forced to sacrifice some of the head counts in order to save the company. Otherwise the whole organization will be in ruin. So, in other words, VSS means retrenchment.

To be honest, the VSS response is pretty bad. All the employees are concerned over the compensation rate and also the future work opportunity. Looking at the condition, management started taking actions since last Friday. Those shortlisted were called to their Director's office for discussion. They are "encouraged" to apply for the VSS. Ok, I use "encourage" so that it sounds respectful rather than "forced". Of course, some are extremely sad, They have been contributing for this company over the 10 years, but this is the result they get. Sigh… :(

How do I feel after observing all these? I'm very sad indeed. I've been having migrain for these 2 days thinking all about this. I got to lie down and relax for about 30 minutes once I reach home before I can do anything. Although I'm safe this round, but who knows few months down the road, there'll be another VSS? Factory working life is very dangerous at this moment. Thank God! We'll still get our contractual bonus on 18th Dec. This is the only good news to us!

5 comments:

New Kid on the Blog said...

pal, i've been very moody and upset on these news since friday.. one after another... bad news after bad news. the worst is am handling this too... i didn't have a good day or good week... nothing I look forward. but i know this is part of working life.
when you sit down there looking at the headcount analyst, you'll feel the pain.

KaDusMama said...

Sad!! It's a sadden news to those got retrenched this time..and yes..it's going to be worse next year..

Wai Wai said...

It's the survival game now..... MDs have a great task ahead, in this bad times it taught us to be thrifty and wiser..

Melissa B. said...

Hey there, you Superior Scribbler, you! First of all, I'm not "spamming" you; I promise! Second of all, I'd like to introduce myself: I'm Melissa B., The Scholastic Scribe, & I'm the "Original" Superior Scribbler! Third thing on my mind: I've been nominated for a pretty prestigious blog award; I'd greatly appreciate your vote, so if you click on over to my place, you'll see the info. It's an annual award from EduBlog, and I'm up for Best Individual Blog. And 4th thing on today's agenda: I've got a cute "contest," of sorts, going on at my place every Sunday. Please come by this Sunday for the Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. And, thanks for your support!

nana said...

yay for the bonus!!